Saturday, May 30, 2009

The day Alex came to stay (also possible the most surreal day in my life!)


Finally the long awaited day of Alex's visit arrived. I met him at the train station and we both walkedd abck to my room. It was a boiling sunny day - perfect for the Summer Eights which were finishing today. Amelia was leaving to go home for a while and lent Alex her room. We dropped off his stuff (and I introduced him to everyone) before heading down to the river to watch the race. It was crowded with people but we soon found a spot after the gut where we could watch Alice row in the Women's boat. Sarah was umpiring as well as Oli Brady so we also got to say hi to them on the way. At first we thought that the race had started when we saw Alice's boat pelt towards us. So we started cheering but then realised that it was a warm-up ...arg! However, when the race did start, they got bumped right infront of us (as Alice had predicted). Emily brought some strawberries and we all had Pimms from the Hertford Boathouse (and, in true Hertford fashion, there was more alcohol that lemonade!). So, it was me, Aex, Marja, Emily, Tom Davies, Chris Anderton and a few other Hertford people. Back at the boathouse we had a great view of the river and got more Pimm's. At this point dad texted me to say that he was comign down for the evening as St. Peter's had a new boat which was going to be Christened. Then, Marianne texted as she was ALSO going to be in Oxford for the evening to watch David's choir sing at New College. arg! So, in 5 minutes, the meal for two Alex and I had planned had turned into a meal for four. Dad arrived a few minutes later and we all had more Pimm's (at this point I was feeling slightly floaty with all the drink..Pimm's is very desceptive!). Alex and I then rushed to meet Marianne at Christ Church and ran with her to New College as the concert was starting in 5 mins. However, once there, were told that we were early. So, we wandered around and also happened to bump into James Scargill!
I then walked with Alex to the Union where we ahd a wuick look round before heading to St. Peter's to meet dad for the boat christening. Here they gave us champagne and we pretended to understand what the speeches were about (and laughed at all the "in" jokes). Dad wanted to stay for a while so Alex and I went to find Marianne and David. Once back in my room the four of us tried to find a place where we could eat...
We met dad outside Hertford and ended up in Wagamama's (Alex, Marianne, David, Dad and me). It was INCREDIBLY surreal. David and Alex had never met although David now works at Barn Bacon. In addition I had a mix of family, friends from in school, out of school and work in Oxford where I live and work - arg! However, the meal was really nice and fun :)
After seeing Dad, Marianne and David off back home Alex and I headed back to Hertford for some well-earnt champagne and chocolate (Cadbury's to be precise) ^_^