Sunday, May 17, 2009

First Outing


I was so excited today as I was going to cox for the first time. I rode with Joe and Suraj to the Hertford Boathouse where I met James (another cox) who was going to help me that day. Earlier that day Alice had given me a brief lesson on all the key terms I needed to use and know but it was still slightly difficult remembering them all!
We got into the boat and the rowers started rowing. James and the coach rode alongside on the bank and helped me instruct the rowers. However, it was really windy so I couldn't hear what they were saying so we almost crashed into Trinity who were comign straight towards us. It was also really difficult to direct the boat in the right direction even while we spun. After two laps of the river we went back to the safety of the boathouse. Ok, so it wasn't perfect but atleast I didn't crash! I really enjoyed it and am thinking about taking up rowing next term and continuuing coxing.
In the evening Amelia had cheese and wine with the other English students. She made some really nice savoury cheese cakes which we all ate. I wish that I had taken a picture of the river but I thought it'd be a bit strange and risky to bring my camera to the boathouse....