Tuesday, September 8, 2009

St. Giles Fair


After a less than eventful day we finally took the students to St. Giles fair - apparently its a parish fair which has been running since the middle ages. Just walking through the crowds of people reminded me of when I was a kid and we would go to the funfairs at Walpole park in the summer. There were loads of food stalls lining the streets all the way up to Little Claringdon street selling popcorn, candy floss, toffee apples, hotdogs and every traditional sweet imaginable! It was VERY frustrating to not have my camera there while Anup took pics with his D40 but I managed to get some OK shots with my digital cam. Anup, some of the Japanese guys and I wandered up the road to the towering ferris wheel outside St. John's college (again, thinking about my camera was so desasperating!). From the top of the wheel you could see the whole of the city lit up beneath us - I'd love to go in the daytime! We then slowly ambled up to the Royal Oak pub, taking pictures on the way, where the rest of the RAs and American students were. Here I tried the sweetest and nicest pear cider while sitting with everyone else crammed around a huge table.