Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Covered Market


Woke up this morning with the need to listen to “Fidelity” by Regina Spektor. I have always blamed this song for making me feel anxious during my AS level Chemistry exam and the subsequent disaster. However, this morning I knew that I just HAD to listen it and the rest of my day has been filled with her voice.
I cycled into Oxford to buy mum's birthday present. I wandered through the streets in the vague direction of the covered market via Past Times where the shop assistant was being told off by an old lady for having music playing in the background. I hope to never be old and grumpy. I want to be like Abu and smile at the neighbour's Israeli bodyguards as they do their morning jog past my house.
Anyway, the covered market was packed with people and I just about managed to take some quick pictures of the mistletoe strung between the florist's and delicatessen, the English lavender piled in thick bunched on wooden shelves (if only I could smell it!), branches with bright red berries twisted into wreaths and the venison and game hung outside the butcher’s. My favourite delicatessen had the amaretto biscuits spilling piled in the window below a shelf of Lindt chocolates. I love those biscuits as they remind me of sitting with my family curled up on the sofa with the fire crackling away. We always ate them when we had guests for tea and sometimes dad would do this trick where he'd curl up the paper into a role and light the bottom. The paper would float up into the air for a few seconds before slowly drifting back down when the flames stopped.
It took me forever to find a present for mum. I want to get her something she'll love, something that’s worthy and shows just how much I love her. I ended up in aspire and bought a cute hot water bottle with a Scotty dog and bow - to keep her warm when Fudge decides to be grumpy.... However, I'm not sure if this is what I was looking for.