Sunday, November 15, 2009

Where I meditate




I woke up at 1, having had the best night's sleep in a very long time. Everyone was out and I wanted to enjoy the most of the sunshine that was coming through the curtains of my room. So I took my bike and camera and cycled down the canal path to Port Meadow. Before reaching the path there is a row of Victorian-looking workers houses very similar to those found in the north. They're packed together along the curved street with different coloured front doors leading right out to the pavement. All the roofs are aligned and, although each house is the same shape and size, they all look individual and bright. The houses opposite the canal tow-path are very different and have gardens leading right down to the water. Some had dingy boats or punts moored alongside the riverbank and treehouses overlooking the water. Living out of the center of town has really helped me appreciate all the quirks that make Oxford such a unique place to be. It seems that around every corner is something intersting and different - I hope that I don't let any of it pass me by.
The meadow was a striking as I had imagined this morning. There were families and people walking there dogs so it was quite busy. However, the magic of this place is that it makes you feel asif you are the only one who knows about it. For a moment, I stopped to look out across the expanse and felt asif I was the last person on this planet. It was not a notion of melancholy loneliness but more of clarity and happiness. Being alone isn't necesarily a bad thing as it gives you time to reflect.