Friday, August 7, 2009

The Fringe Festival '09


We set off early in the morning to Edinburgh in time for the Fring festival. As soon as we arrived in the station we spotted an exhibition which I had really wanted to see - funny signs from around the world. Ok, so slightly immature but it still made us giggle. Loads. We then walked up the mall which was crowded with people dressed up and trying to advertise their shows in as best way as possible. There were performers, dancers, singers, actors acting out scenes (mum thought a girl had actually fainted as she was lyign on the floor holding tickets to her show, pretending to have been shot by the Nazi Officers standing over her...mum then shouted "Nazis! Anna! Chesca! LOOK!!!". Another guy came up to us dressed as a penguin while someone else said to me "My name is Byron but if you come to my play this evening you can call me by my Christian name, George". There was also people from Oxford including the Imps (Improv. comedy) who gave us free tickets when I told them I was from Hertford and Out of the Blue A Capella. In the end, we got tickets to the A Capella while mum and Cathy used the free tickets. We all are lunch at Pizza Express and then went on to see our respective shows. OOTB were brilliant and had so much electricity on stage that the whole audience was left captivated. I was later able to talk to Lawrence who is a member and also goes to Hertford. We also saw "The School for Scandal" (not as good) and in the evening mum, Chesca, Steffi and I were approached by a boy with a mancunian accent who turned out to be an actor from Chiswick. So, we went to see his play, "Territory" which was very well done although slightly violent (and the main guy was fiiiit!). I would have loved to have stayed longer but we had to get the train back. So, we watched this guy swallow swords and then went home. I'd love to return and stay for a week or two just to get round HALF of what was going on at the Fringe!