Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dinner with James


Today I went out with James for dinner at Jamie Oliver's before going to watcha debate at the Union. It was raining as I cycled into Hertford but luckily he brought an umbrella from his room so we didn't get too wet on our walk down George st. Here we ate some of their home-made pasta (although the "chicken cooked under a brick" sounded quite interesting..) and chatted about our families, friends etc. Afterwards, we went to the delicatessen which sells these huge chocolate chip cookies and bought some almond slices. I hadn't been in there since mum and dad took me and Chesca to Oxford for the first time in year 8 to see President Fox (then President of Mexico) speak in the Sheldonian. My first memories of Oxford are from that cold, drizzly night we waited outside for him to come out after the talk. I remember being so proud as he gave both me and Chesc a kiss on the cheek. Afterwards, we walked through the little side street near St. Mary's and got some supper in the very same delicatessen James and I bought our almond slices from.
Anyway, James and I still had a bit of time before the debate we were hoping to see at the Union started. So we walked around looking for a POTD and went to the Rad. Cam., into the Bod., up Queen street but couldn't find anything good enough. Plus my Nikon was being really fussy and didn't like the fact that it was too dark and cold to take a decent pic. It was never the less pretty fun as we got to explore the Bod at night when there are hardly any people. We managed to get to the top where, among random filling cabinets and drawers, James took this picture out of one of the windows.
Later we continued to the debate which was on whether we trusted Politicians or the media more (to be honest, I think it was a debate on the lesser of two evils). Afterwards, we went back to Hertford and had tea in James' room where I got to see some of his family photos (squee!) as well as one he'd taken at a local nature reserve that had won him a prize in a photography competition at home.