Saturday, October 10, 2009

Take a chance


At the Fresher's Fayre I felt pretty confident and signed up to an audition with the Oxford Belles (a female A Cappella group in the Univoersity). Ok , so I don't sing in public but I love to sing and I figured that it would be good to give it a go. I mean it wouldn't matter if I mucked it up as atleast I tried. Anyway, after going to Balliol rather than Worcester (where the audition was) I managed to arrive and had the audition. Earlier than morning I'd prepared the first verse and chorus of "Failure" by Laura Marling as I LOVE this song and its in my range. I guess the audition went pretty good as the girls were friendly and I wasn't nervous. However, I'm not sure if I was good enough but they'll let me know if I get a call-back by today. Later I went for the Hertford rowing tryouts down by the boathouse. I really regret not having done rowing last year but I think this year I'm far more prepared (esp. after my "interesting" experience coxing! The outing was BRILLIANT, the rowing blade would almost effortlessly glide through the water and it wasn't too hard to keep in with the rythm of the boat. It almost felt natural and I was really proud when the coach complimented my rowing and asked whether I'd done it before. Maybe all those years sitting and watching the race on the TV with dad really did pay off other than the general joys of watching Oxford win. I'd definitely love to continue with this sport as Its the only one I've ever genuinly enjoyed.
Later in the evening Tom Davies and I had a family meal with our college children, Steven and Gabi, at Wagamama's together with Nabs and her family. This was a pretty good way to get to know each other and I really enjoyed talking to Gabi. While going to fetch my bike back in Hertford I also bumped into Kate who is another 1st year Biologist which I have semi-adopted as her parents don't do her subject. We started chatting about the subject and I answered all the questions she had - it was so nice to see that they were really similar to the ones I had at the same time last year! I really want her and Gabi to feel asif they can chat to me about anything as I sometimes feel that my college mum didn't help me out all that much when I was a fresher. I really felt asif I was not being resourceful enough during my first year but wasn't aware about just how similar my problems where to everyone else who starts the subject! I hope to help both of them have a good start and enjoy their time at Hertford just like I would have. I can't wait to star rowing this term as I'm sure being part of the college team will be really fun (plus I get to go on more crew dates - squee!!)