Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Ashmolean Museum


Before starting my shift at 4pm I decided to have a look around the newly restored Ashmolean Museum. I was expecting it to be small and dark like the Pitt Rivers with dimly lit rooms resembling an extensive rabbit burrow. However, I walked into something completely different almost like the British Museum in London. It is truly a lovely light building with over three floors and fifty different rooms filled with art and artefacts from different areas around the world and various time periods. I went straight to the second floor which had all the oriental pieces including tiny tea sets and miniature animals. Another room had a collection of European rings and watches similar to those from Alice in Wonderland. The display cabinets by the staircase held various European portrayals of foreigners as well as oriental pictures of Westerners. This was incredibly interesting to see what each culture first thought of the other. Other rooms held intricately carved boxes made from white ivory depicting hunting scenes, robes made for the Chinese Emperor's children, Grecian vases, rows and rows of coins, portraits and various paintings. I could spend forever in this treasure trove of history and culture! All the while I took pictures of my favourite pieces and found this tiny golden statue in the India and Asian section. I love how it stood out from the rest of the artefacts regardless of its small size.