Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Recuerdos


Although it's dark outside today's persistent rain seems to have stopped. I've spent all of my time inside with the family looking through old photographs that Abu brought for us from home. They're all in black and white and are of our great- grandparents and other relatives. I love seeing how people dressed, especially in the wedding photos, and comparing their features with that of our family. Chesca looks so much like mum when she was younger and Regina is a spitting image of Sandra at her age. By far my favourite photo was the only one taken of Abu on her wedding day. She's walking up the steps of the Church led by her father, Tata, and is wearing a stunning white wedding dress (I’m thinking I’d like to have something similar...). On showing us this photograph we all laughed at the random guy smiling in the background - Abu is determined to get a copy of the photo and erase his face as she claims that he ruins it (we, however, think this is hilarious and that he adds character to the shot!). Looking through all the old letters, painting and photos that Abu brought made me feel so much closer to the people I always hear about. Mum always tell us stories from when they were alive but being able to put a face to the anecdotes makes them seem so much more real. It made me think about how much I would like my children and grandchildren to be able to associate with me through this collection of photographs and writing.