Thursday, July 23, 2009

The day I started Harry Potter


Started the day with a short jog to Llamas and in the late afternoon went with mum and Chesca back to Cafe Berteaux where we were supposed to meet dad. On the way there I started to read the first Harry Potter book (I'm thinking about trying to get through the whole series before the end of the holidays/year/my life - I'd love to tell my kids that I actually read all of the books..not just up to the 5th one). We waited for ages but it turned out that he'd thohught we were at another cafe. So, we met him at the Oratory in South Kensington at an art exhibition. One of mum's aquaintances was displaying some work there so we decided to have a look around. I was immediatly drawn in by a painting of some lillies on a dark blue vase. The background and frame of the piece was very dark but the flowers, a brilliant white, did not give the painting a negative feel. The lines were carefully drawn; sharp and bold. I spent ages looking at it.
Later a man started talking to dad and I. It turned out that he was the artist of the piece - we spent ages talking about it. It was so interesting to see how he had created the painting and I loved hearing about his different works. He later told me about a book he'd used as his guide when learning how to draw and paint - I'm hoping to look it up.
It was now VERY late evening so we went back on the tube to the Schofield's house as they'd invited us for dinner. Dad was so tired that he fell asleep on the sofa with Millie, their cute little kitten, next to him.