Monday, July 6, 2009

Gatsby: Day 1


Woke up nice and early in the double bed of my super-amazing room. This place is BRILLIANT! Theres an ensuite bathroom (with underfloor heating), TV, coffe and tea and a state-of-the-art gym downstairs!
Breakfast was followed by a lecture on, "What determines the form of plants", by professor Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz from Canada. This was then followed by our tutorial groups planning and asking questions about the lecture. Lunch was amazing as it was three courses including the best desserts in the world. I sat with some people from Cambridge who were very friendly. This was followed by a practical session on plant pathology which involved collecting diseased samples of rhododendrum bushes - fun! During the free time I decided to go for a run in the woods. I honestly don't think I'm very good at running. However, I did manage to surprise myself. I didn't come across many other people in the woods but there was a creepy abandoned shed/house (I spinted on passing this). It was really relaxing to speed through the woods but then slow down and listen to the wind brushing lightly through the canopy above my head.
Dinner was followed by another elcture on plants being used as weapons of mass destruction. However, I'm not sure that the lecture really was what it said on the tin. Went to sleep pretty early after a long day.