Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Gatsby: Day 3


After breakfast we all got onto the coaches for a Plant Identification Practical. Luckily I brought my wellington boots as the study was carried out in a really boggy area - not everyone was as clever. Each tutorial group went to a different tutor at each base around the field. Ours was, of course, in the middle of the bog so people had to skip and jump over huge ponds of muddy water. Once here, we used our wild flower keys to identify different types of heather and other heathland flora. We then went on to identify wild orchids, brich and oak trees as well as thistle species and flowers from the rosaceae family. I love ordering and classifying species - classification is the best!
In the afternoon we had a careers session when I got talk to the organisers of the course. This was extremely useful as I learnt about the different studentships and scholarships available. There are so many possibilities during and after university that I just want to grasp them all! I left feeling so inspired and energised - a complete contrast to last week.
In the evening we split into groups and did a trasure hunt to try and win one of the coveteed Gatsby mugs... we didn't win but it was fun all the same.