Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ladurée


We finally made it. After almost a year of dreaming and planning to go, Chesca and I bought some Ladurée macaroons at the Burlington Arcade. We'd been inspired by The Unicorn Diaries to take a trip and it was the reason behind my return home this weekend.
The arcade was small and modestly elegant with a red carpet running through it and shops selling various items of jewellery and silverware. It was not until we reached the very end that we saw Ladurée on the corner. So much smaller than I'd expected and VERY expensive but still delightful and simple. We chose to share four macaroons; rose, raspberry, praline and pistachio flavour. As there was no room to sit down (or even move!) we continued on our way and ended up in the downstairs floor of costa with steaming mugs of tea and coffee. I used my spoon to carefully cut our prized treats into equal halves and we ate them slowly savouring the fine flavours and delicate textures. We must have been there for over two hours just talking and catching up. I know I always mention this but talking to Chesca has got to be one of my favourite things to do. She's always so thoughtful and funny that It makes me proud to be her sister.
Anyway, we later took the train to Richmond where we met mum, dad and Abu who'd spent a day in Kingston. From here we drove to an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant (which was a lot nicer than it sounds!). Being with my family was so lovely and relaxing - being at Oxford has made me appreciate so much more being able to spend time with them.